April 4, 2015

Sunrise at Fornebu

Sunrise? Jep, you've read right. :) Since I was not overly successful with my last afternoon birding trip (see last post), I gave the very early bird a try. 
I set the alarm clock to 6 a.m. (!!), packed my camera, binoculars, and the car key, and at 6.30 a.m. (15 minutes before sunrise!) I spotted the first goose at Fornebu.

Sunrise at 6.45 a.m.!!
Greylag goose
Greylag goose
Roe deer
Brambling
Starling
Great spotted woodpecker
Greylag goose
Mallard
Tufted duck
Canada goose
Yellowhammer
Great tit
Oystercatcher
Greylag goose
The small peninsula Fornebu is a short drive from Oslo, on the western side of Oslo fjord. Until 1998 Fornebu served as the international airport of Oslo and since its close-down, the area is under constant development for information technology and the telecom industry.
Nevertheless, three small nature reserve have survived on the peninsula and they are among the best bird watching places around Oslo. Large numbers of resting migrates can be found, as well as several breeding species. Bird-watchers love Fornebu, certainly also a reason for it having the longest species list within the Oslo area, with about 270 recorded species.

Starling
Wood pigeon
Redwing
Lilleøya on Fornebu
Black-headed gull
Tree sparrow
Great tit
Brambling
Greenfinch
Goldeneye
Stock dove
Red-breasted merganser
Blue tit
Great spotted woodpecker
Herring gull
Greylag goose
After this morning, it is also the record holder for my own species list. With about 20 bird species + some roe deer and a badger in just one morning. :)
It is really unfortunate that I am usually not an early bird... .

No comments:

Post a Comment